Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kenya 411





Kenya is a country located in the continent of Africa. East Africa to be precise, her neighbors are: Ethiopia, Somolia, Tanzania, Sudan, Uganda, and the Indian Ocean.


I can clearly remember some images of Africa I was presented with as an elementary school student. None of those images were positive. African people were show as poor, uneducated, even barbaric. I can't say what the school systems intentions were- but this is how I remember it, and I would guess that other American students were left with the same impression. Fortunately, I have been enlightened, and a bit of my ignorance has been replaced with REAL knowlwedge.


Africa, has over 40 countries! within those countries different cultures, customs, and traditions live within the people.


Kenya is a country of 39 million people, the capital city Nairobi is home to about 3 million. My sister-in-laws Linet & Maurine currently leave in Nairobi. I am looking forward to having them as my personal tour guides! The official languages of Kenya are English(yeah), and Swahili, however within the different cultures there are other languages. To date I know about 5 Swahili words: bibi (wife), bwana (husband), asante (thanks), caribou (your welcome), penda (love), jambo (hi), sawa sawa (what's up), chai (tea). I am hoping this list of words will expand, maybe I'll be able to string together a sentence by the time I get back.
I'm out for now, stay tuned for Kenya 411 pt. 2.,
Dee



































































































No comments:

Post a Comment