Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Big Big City-driving

Nairobi is huge! I have been downtown everyday so far, and there is always a traffic jam getting there. Driving here is something that requires great aggression, if you don't or can't possess it, you will never make it to your destination. I will take a 60 minute wait on 694 anyday compared to this. I have seen about 100 incidents that would have easily been accidents in MN., some caused by the car I was riding in. They have a lot of those roundabout thingys.

In comparison I'd say land wise downtown is about 4 times the size of DT Mpls., with about 5 times as many people.

I have also been on public transportation which is something a horrow film script could be written about. They have these mini-van things called Matatu's which take you pretty much any where you need to go. The hold about 15 passengers, and they were not made for any person above 120lbs. It was quite the squeeze, and you need something to hold onto because these drivers are wild!

Last night we were in a Matatu coming from a dinner party with some relatives. Well there was
"beef" between our van, and another one.....not really sure what it was about, but they were trying to run each other off the road.....I was terrified. I was waiting for gun shots, thank goodness it didn't come to that.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made it safely. It's great to hear you are having a good time, even if you look like a deer in headlights here and there :o) I'm looking forward to seeing more posts and seeing pics when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a true to life adventure. THAT's what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julie! good luck in fantasy football!

    ReplyDelete