Saturday, December 19, 2009

Headed to Resort

Hi friends, I'm back from Masai Mara (game reserve), and have a broadband connection once again! Anyways, Thursday morning started with us travelling to the city center (downtown Nairobi) to catch a shuttle van. Now, a lot of people use shuttles, buses, and Matatu's to travel between cities, which is fine, but those of you who know me pretty well know that I like things (like travel) to be well organized. No reservations were made...... so imagine my near panic attack when arrived at a gas station that served as a pickup spot. There were people everywhere with luggage, and I couldn't make sense of any it. Good news was Maurine knew what to do, bad news was we were told we couldn't load there because everything was booked, so we had to go to another station (walking with suitcases through the city, without Fred) do you feel my heart beating faster, LOL. The station wasn't too far away and there were only a few people there so it worked out fine :-)

We caught a shuttle (big upgrade from Matatu) to a city called Noruk, about a 2 hour ride. During this stretch I was able to see the Keyan countryside which is full of mountains and hills, very beautiful sights. We also travelled through the Rift Valley which is sunken in, I believe well below sea level, it was creepy yet amazing to view the valley from mountainside. I must admit I held on a little tighter because the drop distance was unbelievable. At Noruk we grabbed a taxi to Masai Mara.

Good thing we didn't try to drive ourselves, because shortly after taking off from Noruk the pavement ended and dirt roads sprung up, with few posting to tell you which way to go. I swear our taxi driver and all others on the road were navigating using a sixth sense. I should note that the roads were more stones than dirt, so the ride was very bumpy, and while dodging gangs of goats and cows, we drove primarily on the shoulder, at an angle because it was "smoother". after about 3 hours we made it to Keekrok Resort.

2 comments:

  1. This is a movie...your fine details have surpassed my definition of personal adventure. Walking with luggage through Africa, driving across rural pavements, no signs...I mean really. This is some good stuff. I hope you bring plenty of pictures back. Please share more info abt the resort..I'm interested to know how they measure up to Marriott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They resorts were both very nice, clean and modern. Keekorok had spa services, which was a plus. Neither had TV's in the rooms so you have to have real relaxation on the mind.

    ReplyDelete