Sunday, December 27, 2009

Quam-boh-kah 12-27-09

In Suneka, I have become quite the celebrity. Suneka is a rural area, very different from Nairobi.



Anyways, a day or so after we arrived here I walked through the sitting room, which to my surprise was filled with about 6 pre-teen girls. I said hello, and they all just looked at me but no one responded, so I just keep walking to the "shade house" to relax, and keep cool (it was very hot that day). As I am relaxing in the "shade house" I looked up and notice the girls are all peeking out the window and the door at me.....when they see I've noticed them they giggle and hide......this happened a couple more times, so I decided I'd go in and talk to them.



This time I greeted them in Swahili with "Jambo" and with the biggest smiles they could find they all met my eyes and replied, it was very cute! So I sat down with them and learned that they had come to see me, the American. The way these girls were admiring me, you would have thought I was Miss America. So once they became comfortable the questions started coming.



They asked me everything from is it true that American's eat snakes and snails, to is everyone as light as me (even though they we're not much darker than I), they even asked my mother-in-law if I was white-lol. So since then a couple of them have returned to stare at me and smile.



Today I was given the Kisii name of Quam-boh-kah, I am no longer Demetria, lol. I'm spelling it the way it sounds because I have no clue......basically it means I have crossed water to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment