Friday, December 25, 2009

Meet the Parents

After leaving Masai Mara, our next destination was to Kisii/Suneka to spend time with my mother-in-law, and father-in-law, and wait for the rest of the family to arrive so we could celebrate Christmas together.

The plan was to take the infamous matatu to Kisii about a 3 hour trip. If you've been following you know I'm not a fan of the matatu, but I was able to get a good comfortable seat, so I thought things would be fine. Boy was I wrong! about 20 minutes into the trip we get a flat tire! its mid-day now so the sun is beaming....all the passengers get off of the van to "bask in the sunlight" while the driver and his helper attempt to jack up the van. However, I'm not really sure why they were jacking it up, THEY DID NOT HAVE A SPARE TIRE!

So we had to sit there and wait for another van to pick us up. When it finally did arrive they were a few passengers on board. I was happy that I stayed close to the road, because I was able to get a seat, while others lagged. I began to feel bad for those who were behind me, because they would have to wait longer in the hot sun to continue on their way....so I thought. Every single person was squeezed onto the van! I was next to the small aisle, a man squatted in that small space, pretty much on my lap! This was one of the most uncomfortable situations I've ever experienced. I became very overwhelmed and the tears began to flow.

Fred said we could get off and take a cab, but by then I couldn't even move, didn't feel like struggling to get out of the tight fit. We did make it safely to Kisii, and I finally met in person the rest of my family, so it was well worth it. However now Fred refuses to take me anywhere on a matatu which is good because I don't like them, but bad because we don't have car!

No comments:

Post a Comment