Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Response to Habari Gani

So I learned the phrase Habari Gani back in my Clark Atlanta Univerity days. I had a professor named Dr. Black (I've always wondered if Black was his birth name or a name he assumed to match character). Anyways he taught us that Habari Gani was a greeting asking "what's the news?",or "whats up?"'


On Saturday we went to Nairobi National Park which features an animal orphanage, and a nature walk trail where you can observe animals. The park was very busy and we had to wait in line. From the line we saw the admission fees: Kenyan citizen 300 shillings (about 4 USD), US Citizen 15 USD. So I was instructed not to speak any English to pass as a citizen. It seemed like a good idea at the time, how could they know? so I complied, didnt't say a word.

We get to the front of the line, and the guys says 4 Kenyans is 1200 shillings, and 1 US citizen $15. Fred immediately starts to argue about the fee, so they guy asks us to produce ID, I just shook my head no, don't have it. Then he said " Habari Gani?", I stared at him, so he repeated it a couple of times......I had a serious dear in the headlights look on my face because I had no clue what he was asking me. It sounded like baby talk to me, and I just "froze". Fred was not impressed with me not knowing how to respond, and I have been reminded of how I "froze" at least twice a day since Saturday. LOL.

I learned the correct response is Mzuri (good).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment